Gotta ask: Why couldn't you "get a zero?" Lyman sights are adjustable through a hellaciously wide range of movement.

To the OP: Aha, I get why the desire to rebore. Sounds like a plan to me.

Sure, the two Lyman sights may have a lot of superfluous range of adjustment for the rifleman who simply wants to "set and forget for a specific load". But, the thing is that when you sit down at the shooting bench to sight in they make life so much easier than when dicking around with cheap sights with crude (or nonexistent) adjustments. I'm here to tell you that can be an exercise in frustration. The Lyman sight elevators (and Redfield and Williams for that matter) can be locked down securely after zero-ing with no fear of coming undone. Just don't be tempted to twiddle the windage knob afterward and it'll stay put forever too. They also have a tiny set screw in them that you can bottom out after setting elevation that allows you to remove the sight staff for cleaning or whatever and then return it perfectly to its original setting.

Another thought: if the rifle will absolutely only ever be used in the thick dark woods where range is measured in double-digit feet more or less, perhaps a simple wide shallow V-notch rear sight, such as the old English Express sights found on African stopping rifles, coupled with a big fat gold or ivory front bead might be a viable solution too. No known sighting arrangement was ever devised for fast and hairy "up close and personal" shooting in thick cover. Frankly that's what I would want on such a rifle - beats hell out of a scope when you've got about a half second to get the shot off. The rifle will perform like a good shotgun - coming up, swinging on the target, pointing like an extension of your hand.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/21/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty