While I’m not exactly new to pre-64s, I’ve never installed a peep sight on one. And while I’ve seen plenty of examples of model 70s with peeps installed, I seem to always recall noticing the stock had been modified as well to accommodate the sight. I do lack much knowledge when it comes to the various models of sights, and I surely didn’t want to do any cutting or modifying to the stock. Also, when I wrote my OP, I did it without considering the two factory drilled holes on the left side of the receiver. Yes, I’m familiar with them and know what they’re there for, but for whatever reason it just didn’t click to me when I wrote my OP.

My intended purpose for the rifle will be hunting large game (elk, moose, bear) in thick cover. I agree that the adjustability of a Lyman or Williams is nice, but I don’t know that it’s something I’ll really need as I expect I’ll mostly be looking at shots 200 yards or less. The skinner appears to be what I had in mind and I somewhat expected a higher front sight post would be needed after doing similar work on my Marlin.

Regarding my choice for the 358, it’s somewhat a want, but practical in nature. The barrel I have seems to be shot out. I picked up the rifle for $300 in a pawn shop with considerable use. The bore was very dirty and shot like crap, so I cleaned it thoroughly and shot some more. Still no good until I started loading 125 grain flat base bullets. That’s pretty limiting, so I’m just taking what I have and trying to breathe some new life and use into it. I will also probably load reduced/cast bullets through the rifle for fun and smaller game like deer in pigs, in addition to loading heavier, full power loads when the rifle finds new life as a 358W.