Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Etoh

There has been a root used for thousands of years in the world called Ashwagandha,
used to relieve stress. Its active ingredient is a GABA.

Had Ashwagandha included in my herbal tincture formulas decades ago..
.. in terms of modern pharmaceuticals, said to have inducer effect
on GI and hepatic CYP450.
For prodrugs(activation by CYP450) and drugs(metab. by CYP450)
is there reasonable risk for adverse reaction or therapeutic failure respectively?

The popular St Johns Wort is known as a potent CYP450 inducer significantly
lowering blood plasma level of certain drugs. Ie; Warfarin efficacy is reduced ,
but in the case of another blood thinner; clopidogrel (prodrug)
University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center reports potential for
amplified efficacy/increased bleeding.

c450 can act as an inducer and inhibitor depends on which article you read. Biggest problem with all botanicals, depending on their state of preparation, can have several pharmacological outcomes. Ash can take up to 90 days to work. GABA works immediately and is dose related.
Take Benadryl 50-100 mg standard dose as an example. To high a dose for me, so I take a Tagamet to block the c450 at get the pharmacology of 100 Benadryl without the side effects. As a bonus I get histamine blockage from the Tagamet and no upset tummy.
I don't think on the street medicine is up to this type of prescribing. Non-compliance of therapeutic medicine is the number one drug problem in the US. Bet you've never heard that before. People will not take responsibility for their own disease/ilness.

Besides protein/peptide drugs the biggest change today is in the Microbiome, or how the microorganism's in the gut interact.

Both of these fields are under Bioinformatics which is using AI to correlate the information. A recent AI computer just passed the NY medical exam test.

Bacteria are your friend

Most people don't have what it takes to get old