Originally Posted by jimmyp
the AR 10 type rifles I have had, maybe 3 of them were in 308,IIRC they were 2-3 MOA type guns in my hands anyway, (even had an FAL once) so not in my hands would they be 500+ yard guns. The bolts I have had and still own are much more accurate and I have a couple in 6.5CM. So why would I want a long range and weaker cartridge in a gun that is not long range capable? Of course this is just my opinion, maybe there are flaws in my thinking, but if I have a 2-3 MOA gun, why not have the most powerful 2-3 MOA gun possible? Again, maybe the 6.5 CM SFAR is a 1/2 MOA gun and I am mistaken, if it were a true 1 moa gun I sure would be interested. If it were a 1-2 MOA gun in 308 I would be interested, seems like there still is some controversy over its performance or quality control.
That makes sense to me.

I cannot fathom an AR thats a 2-3 moa gun but I've never had the AR10. I need to buy a bear creek lower I guess, all I have is an armalite. Bear creek has some really good deals and the 15 platforms have been acceptably accurate.

But that does make sense.

As to power, its all over rated. The right bullet in the right place is all it takes. I have more than a few deer with 223 out towards 600 and never an issue with that.

What makes no sense is thinking if you have an inaccurate gun that the power is going to help you. Power on a bad shot rarely does plus the power makes it harder to shoot. Unless you move way up like my 458, there I can shoot a bear in the back end if thats all I have and the bullet will reach vitals and often times will exit kind of thing.

140 6.5 vs 150 .308. The 140 might even penetrate more due to smaller diameter. Its more likely to give up more of its energy inside the animal too. Granted you can shoot bigger in the 308. And even the 6.5 but thats kind of apple to apple comparison.

If you have accurate bolt guns then its not how you shoot the AR I wouldn't think. Its you have not had a good AR.

Of course the odds of me ever owning a ruger are pretty slim so I likely won't find out how accurate these are.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....