If you get a big exit wound you have better odds of a better trail. FWIW I'm noticing bigger exits from 140 Berger match bullets in the 6.5 than the 308 and Berger 185 match bullets used to give. Just an FYI.

But I hear you on the blood trail part. Most don't want to trail while we just love that part of the hunt. of course now that I have a dog its even more fun to trail. But I get it.

If I was worried about thick brush, and almost all states have areas of it, I'd try CNS shots period. I've been on my hands and knees crawling after a brown bear in a tunnel so I know what you mean.

And a last story... We followed a blood trail a ways in a swamp once over close to Louisiana. 223 and I hit a vine or something just before it splattered the deer. Broke that deers front leg low and never could quite catch it. Not a killing shot but I digress. Wife said buy something bigger. Went to 50 beowulf and 275 barnes X. Deer still ran about the same distances but they did tend to leave a bit better blood trail most times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....