Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If you get a good 6.5 Creedmoor semi auto, you'll love it. I'm not sure about Ruger though. Seems idiotic that they did not use the proper scope mount. I'm sure this is not their first rodeo?? You'd think to show off your product, you'd have that sob set properly.
Thanks to the OP for posting his results with the SFAR, but there are still many questions that need addressed. The report of his buddy having a failure, is not good, and why the hell was Ruger using such crap ammo?
Been attending “Range Day” at SHOT for too many years, now. Only rarely will a rifle manufacturer provide the best ammo and have its rifles set up the best possible way. Most figure, quite correctly I’m afraid, that the majority of media types cannot shoot well enough to discern the difference (sorta like casting pearls before swine). There are noteworthy exceptions, however, with those manufacturers who showcase their precision long range products on the few 500+ yard range bays available, and those few media people with the proper skills and experience. (By the way, I’m not a media guy, and I’m not nearly as skilled as some media guys with whom I am acquainted.)

Back when Ruger first introduced its Precision Rifle, they went all out, presenting samples for test firing with Hornady Match ammo on a 500 yard range bay and at steel targets. Those rifles performed surprisingly well, as does my personal RPR in 5.56NATO.

While I certainly wish it had been otherwise, I understand Ruger’s uninspired approach this time, given the 100 yard limitation of their range bay and the short range nature of their other products presented for test firing, as if the 6.5 SFAR was included as an afterthought.

I’m itching to get my hands on a 20” 6.5 SFAR, to see what’s possible.

After you get it, keep us posted. The rifle I mentioned in a previous post, has had zero failures, and shoots lights out, but it is heavy. The concept of the SFAR is pretty cool. I hope they work out well. Lighter makes it easier to pack, but excellent accuracy/precision is going to be the icing on the cake. rost mentions the BCA, and if those shoot moa, I'd for damn sure expect the Ruger to do just as well. My sample of AR10's is very small, but both of the ones I've had, shoot almost as well as my AR15's.
FWIW.. the very last thing I expected today was stopping at a shop. And they had a BCA AR10 lower in. I looked at it a bit and ordered one asap. 230 bucks out the door. 2 stage trigger though it will take some tuning its not totally clean at all. With the BCA AR10 uppers showing for under 300 bucks next spring I will know how their AR10 stuff works. Hmmm I should look into what mags too I suspect.

That said I also heard the first bad stuff about BCA other than on here. Owner that I know very well said they had a couple that came in with bcg that had metal shavings and where rough. IE they didn't get blown out and cleaned. I clean any gun I get before I ever shoot it just in case. No matter the make.

Anyway he said they had 2 uppers over a few years that just scattered shots all over the place. Called BCA and they sent new uppers asap if they were in stock and the new ones worked just fine.

I don't like using warranty. But you need good warranty. And I always go back to the first ever expensive scope I bought. At the time I was listening to folks say Leupold was it... and I had bought into that. When Zeiss were on sale one day I just said what the heck. Dump some money. Dang did it make a fool of my L scopes. But it also broke on the first shot out of the 300 wtby. They had good warranty. I have actually used Zeiss warranty as often as L, but the optics and repeatability of the Z have always been better but thats another topic.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....