I have a pair of GSP’s. 12 months apart from same parents. They are both high strung, but with the kids the get lots of exercise. Both sleep with kiddos and are basically lap dogs 95% of time. But both with also hunt all day and be rearing to go do it again tomorrow. They have quirks but all dogs do. These are my first bird dogs so while I’m happy, I’m not sure if there is better out there. The youngest is at a trainer now (Dokken) doing their intermediate course. Was up there a week or so ago checking it out and more than happy.

While I get guys training their own, we didn’t have time or experience. I’m happy with the money spent and both dogs had upwards of 300 birds last year between wild and preserve. The initial investment on the training spread out over lifetime of dog is about the cost of a premium flat of shells a year. And having a dog that can hunt better than me is worth it in my mind.

When something happens to these I’m not sure what we will go too. A good friend has English setters and they are great hunt behind, and another had pudelpointers that are exceptional