Originally Posted by bugs4
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
99% of a dogs life will be NOT hunting. All those pointing breeds while better hunters marginally than a lab, maybe. frankly suck as family dogs. They are too high strung and just too wiggy. Buddy had a puddle pointer and it’s a total pos of a dog that he wasted $2500 buying. Hunted over all of em, Brittany’s, gsp’s etc at the pheasant farms. Give me my black lab that points all day long and twice on sundays over those bread for only hunting dogs.

I also feel the rage right now of adding poodle to the bread is very unwise. It creates a dog that is far less predictable in its temperament and intended purpose. Basically more likely than not you end up with a mut that is worthless.

Keep it simple just get a frikken Labrador!

+1 on the poodle stuff. Adding poodle blood to otherwise good breeds is creating a bunch of nondescript idiot dogs. Keep a pointer a pointer.

Apparently quite a few posters are unaware that poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs, even before the widespread use of firearms. Of course, those genetics have been watered-down in the past century or so, but my father's brother Larry bred full-sized poodles from the late 1950s to 1970s, and hunted with them. They worked very well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck