Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I mentioned in my previous post that I've hunted over a lot of pointing dogs over decades, both those of friends I've hunted with, and when I've been invited on "industry" hunts in other states. My Labs have generally gotten along well with them, especially Lena, who instinctively "backed" both the GSPs belonging to a buddy who passed away a couple years ago, and the Deutsch Drahthaars of another. But the one that might be the most interesting was a redbone hound in Alabama that did a great job of pointing bobwhites.

On an industry hunt in western Idaho, near the Oregon line, one of the guides had a blue heeler that performed great as a flusher/retriever.

My current flushing dog is an Australian Shepard/Pittbull mix. He has outperformed the labs I started with years ago in the field and at least as well as the field bred springers I've owned in all but water work and I would consider that a push with the springers. The labs might have benefitted from the better training I can now provide but even then they would match the mix at best. He was kind of a "rescue" as the mother, the Aussie side, was owned by someone who used them to work stock and compete. She was giving them away. He is now 12 and showing his age.

Otherwise, I am a pointing dog person. I normally have 3-4 on hand but am down to one in the house and two placed with relatives. I've owned or kept Pointers, English Setters, GWPs, Large Meunsterlanders, WPGs, shorthairs, Viszlas, and probably another breed or two I don't recall off hand. They have all been at least decent in the house even though they also spent/spend a fair bit of time in outside kennels. Obedience is the key to a dog that is good in the house as well as outside. My Pointer was a field trial washout that had not been inside a house for nearly 2 years. He was housebroken in a week and soon claimed the corner Lazy Boy as his whenever inside. He could turn it off when inside but going out the door flipped his switch. Being able to hunt birds literally just outside the door probably didn't help. Had to keep him on a chain or under constant supervision if just letting him out as he would be gone if he scented birds or a coyote.