Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by johnw
He didn't breed dogs, but I too, had an uncle by marriage who hunted with standard poodles. I remember one as a pretty danged good dog

The way I understand it about Poodles is they were water dog's used on ships. I don't know if that true or not but they certainly have a coat for it. Also that standard poodle hair cut is the result of trimming to protect joints in cold water. Myself I would also avoid Poodle Pointer's. I have read no where that poodles were ever bred to be hunter's and I have only ever seen one of them. To many well bred dogs out there that have been being bred for a long time to be bird dogs to go with something like a Poodle Pointer. Might say the same about the pointing lab. Labs make great retriever's and a lot of them make good flushing dogs but, they were bred to be retriever's! Buy a breed bred to do what you want it to do!
I am surprised as someone as well versed in dogs that you'd spell and say that about pudelpointers.

Again, for the folks in the back:
https://projectupland.com/hunting-dogs/pudelpointer-the-complete-versatile-hunting-dog-history/