It is a thrill to me find an older "wood and blue steel" firearm for sale in the used gun rack if it has the right kind of wear, what I would call "honest" wear, worn blueing under the receiver where it has been carried and shinny metal showing thru on the edges. If the woods' finish is worn evenly without too many scratches and maybe just a little oil soaked. It seems that I find this a lot on firearms manufactured from the late forties to the late fifties. Most any Winchester of that peroid, Remington 721 and 722 rifles, Model 99 Savage, even the Sears Roebuck Model 50 and 51 rifles of that peroid can have that experienced look I like. I have found these guns in pawn shops often and I imagine that their original owner probably used it and cherished it and left it to some one who let it go for a $25 or $50 loan that they never repaid.
My first rifle purchase about 40 years ago was a Winchester 670 in 30-06. It wasn't long before I traded it or sold it to get something newer, better, faster and I have had scores of rifles since then. Looking back now I think I would have been just fine if that had been only rifle for 98% of my hunting. Last year I purchased a pretty decent Model 670 and I think I am going to spend the next decade or so of hunting I have left imparting some character on this rifle. Or at least until something newer, better, faster comes along.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams