Mr. High Brass;
I believe that your post subject is one of the more intriguing aspects of rifle ownership. Over the years I�ve owned a few 100 + year old rifles that I often wished could talk to me.

I suppose my most personal �character rifle� is a Browning BBR in .30-06 that I bought new a long time ago. While it didn�t shoot my first deer, or even my first big game animal, it was along to shoot my first mule deer, the first black bear, my one and only sheep and many deer after that. While I used it a fair bit for a decade or so, they were kind of a heavy rifle even for that time, so it hasn�t seen much use the last few years.

Last winter, our eldest daughter decided she wanted to try for a black bear, and she will use the 100+ year old 6.5x55, �96 Mauser that I remodeled for my late father, who gave it to her before he passed on.

In the event she finds a bear and in case things need to be sorted out after the fact, I have loaded the old BBR with 200gr. Partitions and replaced the 4X Leupold that was on it with a 2.5 Leupold Compact. A couple trips to the range were like a good visit with an old friend, as it still fits me just fine!

Thanks for the interesting thread and thanks to all who responded.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/26/08. Reason: I can't spell!!!

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"