It is a thrill to me find an older "wood and blue steel" firearm for sale in the used gun rack if it has the right kind of wear, what I would call "honest" wear, worn blueing under the receiver where it has been carried and shinny metal showing thru on the edges. If the woods' finish is worn evenly without too many scratches and maybe just a little oil soaked. It seems that I find this a lot on firearms manufactured from the late forties to the late fifties

Yep. Any time I stop at my favorite rural gunshop, always head for the used gun racks. Have snatched several old veterans out of that place over the years, plus a few more from other shops.

Doesn't do much for me to head over to the dozens and dozens of new rifles in that section of the shop, although I did once get mildly excited over a matte/laminated M7 Remington when they came out. It quickly passed and I left empty handed. ;o)

Anytime I find an old rifle that catches my eye, first thing I think about after looking it over carefully, is what tales that thing might tell, if only it could talk. Fortunately, I know the history of a few of my favorite old boys, so that makes them even more of a treasure to me.

Already told my son which firearms I'd like him to keep, when I keel over. For some reason, the same ones I fancy, also caught his attention years ago, so no worries. He can take him a vacation on the ones that are just so-so, once I'm gone.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.