Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Battue, it's not something I would do again (on purpose anyway, grin)... I butchered him myself so I got to deal with the consequences and I was pretty disgusted with the mess I'd made...

I am primarily a meat hunter, so shooting him right in the meat was... regrettable.

Dunno what would have happened with a .223. Would it have smashed the hip joint and gone through the whole deer lengthwise?

Jeff I wouldn't take that shot with a .223. One of the reasons I usually go with .30s or above as it gives me more options. I also would not necessarily expect the .30-06 to penetrate the whole deer. Again the intent is to break him down then finish it quickly. Shots that break hips usually involve the spine or destroy the ability to move and are usually decisive. Shooting them there involves more than a random shot to the rear.

But if I am willing to place additional restrictions on myself the .223 will work. I think your opponents willingly accept those limitations and feel me, you and the rest of us should recognize that as obvious and therefore the .223 works on deer at least as well as the .30-06.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler