Originally Posted by mw0248
Thank you RyanScott; If you want to kill deer, and not be afraid
of recoil, I raised all three of my boys on my good old standby
.270 with 130 gr. bullet; .243 might do on does on head shots, but I would not shoot anything less;

kill them quick, with the right equipment;

I would never shoot at a deer with a .223;

for all you naysayers out there, check out the twist of any .223
barrel; the round tumbles after about 100 yds; It's designed to tumble and fragment after hitting anything; even a blade of grass
will cause the round to fragment; Hits your finger, and tears up your hand; That's what it's supposed to do; Not designed to kill deer;

What? .243 maybe good for head shots on does, as if does are easier to kill and less valuable than bucks, let along the fact that thousands of deer have been humanely killed with .243s....
As for the .223 tumbling comment, I'm waving the absolute BS flag here guy, along with the blade of grass comment. The .223 was not designed as a hunting round, but I've seen plenty of deer killed with it. I'll never use it, I like my .243s, .30-06s, and .260s too much and never wonder about penetration. I'd LOVE to see some empirical data to back up the tumbling comment, that should be one heck of a read! smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile