I suppose the reason there are so many lousy hunting shows on TV is that there are so many hunters willing to watch lousy hunting shows on TV.

It seems to me that 9 out of 10 shows are clones of one another in terms of the format. A few stand out for various reasons. Sometimes that reason is a strong personality. Jim Shockey is one that I like -- maybe because his type of hunting doesn't lend itself to sameness. He's not sitting in a tree stand in every show.

I think the biggest criticism of outdoor television is the redundant sameness that you see. But outdoor TV isn't the only TV that has that weakness. Sitcoms have their formula. Soap operas have their formula. "Reality" shows have their formula. Crime dramas have their formula. HGTV has its formula. There are exceptions in all of these, of course, as there is in outdoor TV. (D&DH TV is one of the exceptions for outdoor TV.)

My question is this: Why would we expect outdoor television to rise above the standards of other television programming?

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt