Rost and all,
I agree 100% the word managed is abused from time to time..The elk of Wyoming are mangaged, and to a lesser degree also in Idaho..I managed my Mule deer and Coues deer herd on 75,000 acres for a number of years in the Big Bend as does everyone else in that area. In todays world all game is managed and if that were not so then we would have no game..

To the bow hunters and rifle hunters for that matter, the point I make is killing the deer from a stand is not a particularly big deal, I don't know that its hunting persay or just patience and fortatude, the ability to sit for hours in one spot and wait for the shot that may or may not ever come. Don't get me wrong I have shot plenty of Whitetail from a stand, and some Mule deer, elk and whitetail from my pickup, always does or cows or smaller bucks, I'm not that picky if I'm meat hunting and just want to get it over with. I still hunt for meat only sometimes, and I mostly take high neck or head shots. Ont the other hand when trophy hunting I like to get out after them on their terms and cover a lot of ground or slow stalk them in the thick stuff.If I am trophy hunting I want to earn it and I have passed some pretty big bucks because they were standing beside the dirt road and I was in the truck. I usually return later and try to walk them up however.

As to fenced deer being fenced deer, that is just wrong and an assumption..Hunting deer on a fenced 50,000 ac. ranch in the Texas lower Rio Grande Valley is a fair chase hunt and like some have said the big bucks go nocturnal and some of them die of old age and the horns become pickups for decorating the gate.

As to the original posts, I watched a goat hunt yesterdays and the kid shooting shot his goat twice at over 900 yards with a rifle disigned to do that, its also designed to wound and it takes hunting out of the spectrum IMO..I don't care how good a shot you are, or how many animals you kill at long range you will wound them from time to time, too many varibles can come into play..I don't see that as sportsmanship, but it sure is an ego trip and at the expense of a fine game animal that you fail to respect IMO...

Most of the shows I see as unrealistic to the sport of hunting.