Originally Posted by TC1
I like cheap beer and expensive watches.

You know what they say about cheap beer. Quantity has a quality all it's own.[Linked Image]

One of the great things about this country is we have many choices in where we want to spend our money. If someone spends $100 on a floormetal that's by choice. Or if someone else spends $500 on floormetal that's also by choice. When others outside of the transaction start turning it in to a class warfare thing I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

When I sold parts at a speed shop years ago we were told that if the customer asked for the low ball item then we should "do them the favor" by handing them both the low$ and high$ one. Then they could make an informed choice by comparing the two. I was surprised at how many were lured by heavy advertisement into the shop looking for a low$ part and ended up leaving with a more expensive model when presented with a choice. Not because they were belittled into thinking they were too cheap by wanting the lower $ one. But by being able to see a variety of items that would suit their needs and making their own mind up based on where they thought their money was well spent.

The question at the top of this thread has too little information to offer much info. What action? What cartridge? SS or blued steel?

The Williams floormetal is inexpensive. At one point they didn't have any inletting draft. From what I gather that is how Winchester ordered it. As a stockmaker, I would charge a customer to file the proper draft on it before inletting it into his spendy English Walnut blank. Some of the Sunny Hill stuff needs draft filed behind the mag box. Unless the smith and client don't care about minor gaps. I'm not sure if Williams stuff still doesn't have any draft. In a drop in application for a plastic stock or factory stock the lack of draft wouldn't be a problem. So the money spent for the extra operation of putting draft on it might not be necessary.

choices choices so many choices.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker