I was asking you a question Matt. You didn't answer.

Here's the question again:
Is the draft machined @ 2deg while the floorplate mating surface is flat?

My assumptions were not about quality. Were they? If you set a stock up with the bottom inlet flat then machine the inlet with a 2 deg cutter and not have to inlet the floormetal closer to the action then the draft being machined like in my question is not a problem. If you're stocking from a blank or even a semi inlet and have the barreled action inletted then try to inlet the floormetal into the wood using guide screws it can be a problem.

I still don't know how yours is machined.

Machining the profile of the guard in one shot with a 2degree tool while the guard is flat takes less time & effort than setting the guard up at 3 deg then machining the profile in one shot programming different z values for each line. Changing the tool to a 5 deg and kissing the back of the guard and the wide part behind the magazine also takes more time.

more time & tooling & programming = more money

On numerous occasions I've complimented your products. Your posts about floormatals just seem to imply or blatantly say that every else's floormetals are overpriced or under polished or over complicated and customers are wasting their money if they spend it elsewhere. There's 300 million people in this country and plenty of room for competition.

It's the same attitude I've seen at the range when shooting a custom rifle and someone says "My savage shoots just as good. Why would anyone waste their money on that high dollar custom job?"

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I did have a few of your floormetals in my shop but the client wanted them back and sent a couple of Blackburns. I don't think it was because he thought they were junk or too cheap. He was building a pair of M70s and one was stainless. And he liked the copywrited shape of the Blackburn.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker