Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Jim wasn't doing me any favors either.

???
Are you talking about this?
Originally Posted by gunmaker
At one point they didn't have any inletting draft. From what I gather that is how Winchester ordered it......

I thought I brought up something customers had a beef with in the past and you answered it very well helping clear up any question about this subject.

Matt
Has anyone here said things like this about your products?

I've seen just as bad, if not worse from another amongst your list, which is why I've made the statements that I have.

I've yet to begin polishing a part for shipment that didn't come straight off my machine with a better finish than has been offered by my competitors as a finished product.

I'd have a hard time having someone who's worked for me in the past tell me that they were going to spend a day polishing one guard and charging me $350.00 to do it.

What other bottom metal makers do that will drive up additional costs is the integral box, but that can be a real can of worms at the very least.

I would recommend Sunny Hill for that one.....The bad news will be the sticker shock,

The lack of Kiff's wares in this thread were noted.

The bottom metal below does not impress me in the craftsmanship department and the fact that I've seen at least a hundred more that were similiar, leads me to believe that it's SOP to let that kind of work out the door. These parts would be in my chip bin, but they were sold as IN-THE-WHITE.

The problem is, with parts that require an extensive amount of rework, filing, and sanding, they should be priced less than me, not the other way around.

Notice the tool marks on either side of the guard screw hole..........
That you will never see on my parts.

Take note of the mismatch of the machined radius.......That's a scrap part in my shop.

In this picture you can see the tool marks that are worse than any nail file I've ever seen ............

I'm not putting words in your mouth here.

It seems like you're p eeing all over the other manufacturers products and I don't think anyone has returned the favor. This isn't politics. Just gun parts.

It's hard for me to understand why you are so frustrated about the competition and their pricing. They didn't price your products.

When you think about it, your products are in a market of their own. You specifically targeted and created a market that wasn't really there in the first place.

After being quite pleased with what had been created, I looked at the current competition in bottom metal and realized that there was no place for a blue collar guy to go if he wanted an upgrade over the factory junk...

...our bottom metal is the only one on the market that will drop into their factory stocks, without having to be inletted. In fact, based on the numerous samples that I've seen of my competitors models, they lack the amount of material to be used on any factory stock, unless you like large gaps around the guard and front guard screw.

In your own words you call your products an upgrade over the factory junk. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Sunny Hill (originally designed long ago by Pete Grisel) and Blackburn and a very few others started building floormetals many years ago for the custom gunmaking trade before the synthetic stock became very popular. These custom floormetals like drop magazines, integral magazines for M70s etc were never intended to be an upgrade over the factory floormetal. Most all of them ended in a custom walnut stock hand crafted for the customer. They weren't marketed to what you call a "blue collar guy". They were marketed to ANYONE who wanted a custom alternative to the factory floormetal and were building a custom stock in the process not caring what the factory inlet looked like. Never intended as a drop in easy upgrade.

Now that you've cornered the market that you created it seems you've a bone to pick with those who are apparently outside your market but make similar products. And apparently your frustrated when people think about your stuff as just an upgrade over the factory junk.. YOU need to stop calling it that.

Again I say: I think you make a good product that has a large following of happy customers. You should be proud of it. Isn't that what you set out to do after Winchester went Tango Uniform?

Last edited by JRGunmaker; 08/18/09.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker