Well, after three days of air travel, I finally landed in camp on August 22. I flew the last leg in from Whitehorse, Yukon. I rode out in a Piper Navajo with a 71 yo double knee replacement/prostate cancer survivor who was wearing FNAWS gear and had completed a world slam of sheep, I found him "Bob" to be a priceless fount of information on sheep hunting around the world and a heck of a nice guy, but I was concerned at how he could actually hunt sheep with his knees. He would go on to be the ONLY person that DID kill a sheep while I was there, and he had a pick from several legal sheep, via horseback. The other guy that rode out was a Canadian, a tough, cowboy looking guy from Alberta, named Blaine. He was returning after not killing a sheep on last years hunt. At the time I left for home, Blaine was still in the field after 12 days, no sheep yet. Already in camp was a bowhunter "Anna" with her husband from Fairbanks. This was her third try at Blackstone for a "bow-sheep". We were in camp only briefly, arranging our gear and waiting for our turn to fly-out. Anna and her husband went first, then Blaine, then it was my turn. During my wait, we sighted in guns, my NULA printing nicely, the other guys were adjusting a bit. Also, I got acquainted with the recently trapped camp grizzly. This was a trip.....a grizzly baited into a cage, basically a metal culvert on wheels with heavy gauge grates at both ends. I was told that this guy was terrorizing camp and that there were a bunch of grizzlys around this year. I was also shocked to learn that I had a tag for grizzly (and caribou, which I had no interest in). Believe it or not, my office manager (love her) had gotten all available tags when given the opportunity by the outfitter, and she hadn't told me about the grizzly tag. I later learned that this bear was destroyed by the "Fish Cops", as it had been tagged in several hunting camps displaying no human fear.
Next was my turn to fly out, and Jim Fink, the big kahuna, outfitter, flew me out in a 170 (I think) to the top of a flat mountain, and Clint, the other pilot with his supercub flew out my guide, Brett, right behind. It was late in the evening on the day before the hunt started and we were in the field. The guide seemed nice, the tent that was supplied was a three season MEC, three man. My last sheep hunt we used a Black Diamond Megalight, which is a tipee and had gobs of room, I was apprehensive about sharing a tiny tent with a stranger, but the three man was big enough.
[Linked Image]

At the last minute, I decided to take my lightest possible pack, the smaller McHale, close to 5000 cubes, and the NULA in .30-06. I had other options, but decided on the lightest practical options. I was given a garbage bag of food to add to my pack, which I had left room for, but DANG, did that increase the weight. The supplied food was all mountain house stuff, candy bars, "fry bread", cookies, granola bars, oatmeal, and even banana bread in Al foil.

The other thing I decided on at the "last minute" was boots. I had gotten away with light Sportiva Trango "S" boots for the last sheep hunt, but my foot had grown, so earlier this year I bought new ones, half size larger, Trango "Extreme". I broke these in on a local hike or two, it would prove to not be enough. My guide had bought some Asolo, all leather, that had a sole separation within two weeks, just an utter failure.....tough country!!!!

We set up camp that night near the airstrip, viewed a 3/4 curl ram nearby, and made some mountain house and tried to eat up the heaviest sugary food. I was trying out the NeoAir that's the new sleeping pad from Thermarest, just out. I would give it passing marks. It's the lightest possible inflatable and it is superlight, very narrow, and mine never left me flat after a night, but I did have to add air about every 12hours.......just a couple of lung-fulls. I was using my Kifaru Zero degree Slick sleeping bag. This is just an amazing thing. I don't understand all the physics, but I can get into that bag literally soaking wet completely dressed. Soon the interior of the bag is almost unbearable, like being inside a wet trashbag. Then, fall asleep and when you wake up, friend you and your clothes are DRY, no kidding. Not so lucky with the guides down coat or bag.....I think that's where all my evaporative loss was going.....he was miserable, chasing moisture the whole trip. Leaking boots, soggy coat and sleeping bag, and weather uncooperative for drying. I'm glad I went with the Synthetics.
More to come......