Before we go to sleep that night, Brett spots a band of rams that might have a shooter in it. We head up the next morning, but not until we establish the intentions of this sow and three cubs

[Linked Image]

This turns out to be the preferred location for the pack dog

[Linked Image]
This hike takes us up to the top, and a little over, where we have spotted a possible ram. When we get to the top we can't find them. We searched over ever rise and crest, only to let our scent bust them at about 450yds. We watched them for a long time, made a circuitious stalk in swirling winds and carefully got as close as we would get (600yds, 50mph wind.....beyond my frustrated sniping skills). Plus, as we were doing the assessment we were scented and they just eased out of the universe. We later learned that the outfitter had had hunters on this same band the last two hunts and that someone had shot at this band (we think) within the last week, ie they were spooky. Anyway, this was another 16 hour day, this time with snow, and 50mph sideways sleet. This is the next time I swear that I'll NEVER SHEEP HUNT AGAIN. I tell this to the guide and tell him that I'm THROUGH, he say's "come on, man, let's get goin'". That was all that was said about that, and quite frankly, I was serious. Later, I hoped that Brett forgot, or maybe I was hallucinating, but I started to criticize another hunter that we learned had bailed out, and Brett reminded me that "doc, you kinda wanted to quit too".....gulp!
[Linked Image]
This is my quitting face!

Later, at a lower elevation, the sun came out, it was surreal

[Linked Image]