The third morning, skys were colder (35F), and clear, no wind. This is when Brett and I established a pattern. He goes at his speed, stops to glass and let me catch up, asks if I need a break, and if not, we're off again. Many time I think to get out a range finder to see actually how far ahead he actually is.....Heck, they got so far away from me several times, that I re-introduced myself to him and the dog. I have on the smartwools (socks and long underwear); Mammut Champ pants, Nylon shirt, and Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker rain coat, which is a great windbreaker. I have on some OR gortex overmitts, over some knit gloves. The overmitt is also not used after today, as the sleeves on the ID coat covered my hands nicely. We've just reached some lesser summit, and at this point I'm thinking the rest should be easy......I was so wrong.
[Linked Image]

This was the course that Brett had set out for us
[Linked Image]

It took 8.5 hours to get there, and we saw no sheep. Then we had to get back to camp before 11 when it gets dark. Friends, it wasn't any funner, going back over, faster, and knowing that no sheep were out there. We made it back just after dark, I fell asleep eating a mountain house. I really, honestly cursed myself for ever being on this trip for the first time on this return trip. I swore, and was earnest, that I would never do this again, ever. I had a better attitude in the morning when I finished the MH, but not much. I kept my lip buttoned, didn't want to over-react, or be thought of as a whiner so early. Maybe this was my conditioning hike? I don't know what it was except rough and 15 hours long. The next day we would move on with camp on our back to a new location.

Last edited by docdb; 09/06/09.