Originally Posted by safariman
One of the best value's in hunting rifles out there, period. I have been packing one around in 416 Rigby for a long time and wrote about it and the mod's I did to it in African Hunter Magazine. I have reccomended this rifle, in this caliber, to hunting buddies and safari clients and all have been very happy with thier rifles. Accurate, terrific double set trigger, true and honest to gosh Mauser style controlled round feed fixed blade ejector, real blued steel, good walnut with good point style checkering, integral scope bases..... what's not to like? To me they feel good in the hands and just right for weight and balance.

++1

I looked over a couple of used 'old' model 550 Americans comparing them to the 'new' 550 American that has the reworked stock. The newer version has a much slimmer, trimmer stock that is just as handy as anything I've hunted with from Winchester, Remmy, or Ruger (pre-Hawkeye). I ordered one in 6.5 Swede and have been a happy camper.

P.S. - the included scope rings are monstrosities and should be swapped out - I went with Talleys.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.