I would not stock a gun in any other than quarter sawn wood, It is the most stable wood to be had and any stock maker knows that. That is why it is so damned expensive.

Sounds like a lot of furniture makers are tossing around their expertise on this subject and they best had go on a furniture making sight as opposed to gunstock building.

..The ignorance of some on this subject is beyond imagination and the flaming is rude and without presidence...As a matter of fact the one that has made the most since on the subject, as to gun stock wood is Lee 24, I don't know him or from whence he came, but most of what he said in the begining of this thread is correct. I have not bothered with the rest of the dribble as it got out of hand IMO... I don't see why the attack on him...especially the reasoning behind those attacks, the replys are of no value and don't even make since to a gun stock maker.

I really don't give a damn how many stocks one can get out of tree by slab sawing it, the best stock money is quarter sawn wood, check your prices from some of the real wood dealers around,and not the simi inlet boys that sell the cheap stuff..Besides the best money is not in stocks it is in veneer, furniture, and flooring. end of story.

Slab sawed Marble Cake is pretty, warm and cozy stuff no doubt about that and suitable for two peice stocks I suppose, but in my opinnion it is better described as clown wood, it is prone to warpage, cracking, splitting, and crazeing a finish, it is subject to breakage from the recoil of heavy big bores..It is the fashion plate of the closet queen gunners...

As to the rest of the stuff posted here I have no dog in the fight, don't know the parties involved, just stating my views on the wood and the posts concering that wood, something I know a thing or three about at least when it comes to stocking a rifle, and many which I have sold on this forum, and from being a Turkish and European gunstock wood dealer from time to time, when the economy is right and will again when I think there is enough market for me to buy a few pallets of the stuff from my turkish buddies if they are still alive and have not been shot by the Russians for stealing wood out of Russia.

Last edited by atkinson; 10/07/09.