Originally Posted by gunshotbob
I'm making my first Elk hunt next fall in CO. I have a Remington model 700 .30-06 and am really comfortable with it but I hear that .30-06 is just barely enough for a large bodied animal. I plan on making other hunting trips for big game in the future so, I want to pick up a new rifle.

I'm considering .300 wsm .300 win or 7mm mag. The model 700 is nice but I like the Weatherby Mark V. However, it comes in .300 win and 7mm. Alternatively, the Vanguard sub moa comes in .300wsm and is about $800 less. I like the additional features of the mark v especially free floating barrel but I think the short magnums have more punch and less recoil.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with any of the rifles or chamberings you list,including the 30/06 and the 7 mag(which is what I used on my last elk hunt).So the world is you oyster!I've had Weatherby ULW's in 7RM and 300WM;they were fine shooting rifles.

IME factory WSM ammo is loaded pretty hot at the factories,so may show a bit more velocity than the older magnums;this is neither here nor there and you won't be able to tell the difference.Your skill with the rifle wwill mean a lot more than another 100 fps.

That said,if you want a new rifle for elk hunting(forgetting for a moment that you already have one smile I like the sound of the 300 WSM with it's good selection of factory loads,and moderate recoil.

I think more fuss is made out of what it takes to kill an elk than any other game in North America....except Alberta and Texas whitetails smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.