Originally Posted by mathman

Sitting here at my PC, it's easy to say I'd pass up a less than ideal shot...but after eager anticipation, costly travel and enduring the better part of a week in a frozen elk camp at 8500', many an ethical compass may be tempted to sway a little should "Mr. 400" present only a Texas heart-shot pose at an intermediate range such as 250 yards.

I often read something similar to this when someone is explaining his preference for a boomer cartridge, be it for elk or even deer.

Here's my question: Wouldn't a 30-06 with a good bullet be plenty to bust up the back end running gear of Mr. 400?

Honest question BTW, never popped an elk myself.

I have known it to work in that application, but have never done it myself.....To be honest I'd be unlikely to try it with anything on an unwounded bull.Wounded,anything goes,and if a cartridge/bullet combo is capable of breaking shoulders when you shoot them through the "correct end" of the animal,it makes sense that the same combo should be capable of breaking a hip or two......sort of a sloppy end for a grand animal IMHO,but sometimes circumstances dictate undesireable actions.

In the one instance I know of, a 30/06 with 165 Partition broke the hips of a running spike....shooting full length of an elk is another story altogether and if a guy is inclined to take those kind of shots,I would think only the larger calibers and stoutest bullets should be used.I have(once) driven a 200 gr Partition from forward of the right hip of a big bull to the off-side shoulder,breaking it in the process...the bull was staggered by the first shot and I was able to finish him quickly......that's as far as I would want to stretch things myself.....

On the issue of a 30/06 being insufficient,I find it kind of interesting that some would find the cartridge inadequate for a 700 pound animal,when guys like Phil Shoemaker and others have depended on the cartridge to roust out wounded brown bears....elk seem to elicite this kind of enthusiasm....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.