I hope to be able to shed some light on the topic above as I have hunted with this caliber for many years. My father purchased my first rifle in the early 90's in a 270 wby. I took the time to learn how to shoot this gun and the importance of not out shooting ones abilities. I have hunted with it for roughly the last 17 years. I typically shoot 150 gr Nosler partitions when hunting elk or larger game.

I have killed over 12 elk and 14 deer with this gun over the years and I have never lost one. Actually I have never even had to do any significant tracking on any of these animals. With that said I dont try neck shots a 400 yards. I typically shoot right behind the shoulder as this shot placement has yet to let me down.

2 years ago I was lucky enough to take this rifle on a buffalo hunt. At 238 yards the Buffalo was hit with one shot (shoulder...god I am boring) that dropped it flat on its chest. The butcher told me he tipped the scale at 1200 lbs with the guts out of course. Sure you can shoot something larger lots of people do. But in my opinion for where I hunt in Wyoming and what I hunt (elk and rocky mountain mule deer) the 270 weatherby mag. has never let me down and frankly I dont think there are much better out there, but I am certainly biased. smile

Last edited by hamr56; 11/24/09.