Man oh man Roger, I would have run that bid sky high on that rifle had I been there, $2800 is absolutly criminal for that gun..I have seen less bring $5500 or more.

Wildcatter is spot on when he says he thinks my 2600 FPS load in the .404 would serve one with excess recoil, and that is only putting it mildly..It will get your attention, basically it an only be described as hanieous, but safe as to pressure...

Keep in mind with the .404 Jefferys has about the same powder capacity as the 416 Rigby which is nothing more than a 416 Weatherby without a belt..the 404 will easily come within 100 FPS of the Rigby or Weatherby if you handload it. With modern powders, specifically IMR-4831, the 404 is the wonder of wonders..

I have mostly used the GS Customs 350 gr.(?) HPs, Northforks 370 gr. softs and their fantastic Cup Point bullets; I also field tested the 450 gr. Woodleigh softs and solids on buffalo and quite a number of them btw.. You would be hard pressed to beat those big Woodleighs with any bullet..I would give each of these mentioned bullets a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.