Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by BobinNH
DF: We should all be lucky enugh to own what Tom Burgess could do to an Enfield.... cry cool grin

Yeah. You're right. Found this on line, with the caption, "Ultimate Enfield" by Burgess. I need a .404 Jeffery that looks just like that... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

DF: That is nice!A beauty! You don't see them every day! Where is that one listed? Is it a 404?

Rattler, there are things you can do to an Enfield that you can't with a M70....a 404 may not be one of them, but for certain cartridges the bigger action was pretty much all they had to work with, true magnum Mausers being sorta scarce.It would just handle larger cartridges better than an M70. Back when Burgess did work like that,there was not the availability of actions that there are today for the bigger cases, so people remodeled Enfields.

About 5 minutes spent with Burgess metal work and you will not be wondering "why".If he were alive today, he would still rank among the best.

Doug: We both screwed the pooch on that Winston Elrod 404J...we ain't too bright. grin I handled it at Cabela's;it had some weight, but when you threw it to your shoulder it went completely "neutral",like many nicely stocked customs.It would be really hard to replace that rifle for what they were asking.

I just got an interesting email from a prominent custom rifle builder who read this thread; about a wildcat that has made the rounds over on AR:turns out this builder was working with it quite awhile back,and its a 375H&H round necked up...don't know all details but looks like the taper is left in the case,will work through a pre 64, or Classic M70, or Rem 700 375H&H action,and give a 400 gr bullet 2150-2200 fps with little to no modifications to the rails for function/feeding which the H&H round is noted for anyway.....Sounds pretty nifty....Mmmm smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.