Originally Posted by wyoguide
DF- From a purely economic standpoint, the MRC bbld action seems like the way to go. However, smiths around here don't like them much claiming they are very rough and need quite a bit of work to make serviceable. Which translated into $$. Myself, I don't like the bolt handles or bottom metal on mod 70's/MRC's, so would have to do something different there too, all adding up. I'm trying to build a 416 Ruger myself, and would like to use a Mod 70, but these issues keep creeping up.

The MRC barreled action in SS is $1,300, the blue, CM version, $1,100. They want another $800 to do NECG express pop up rear sight, banded front sight and barrel band sling stud. All equipped, you're looking at $2,100 just for their SS Safari barreled action.

I believe I can build a very similar set up for less, without giving up quality. I'm looking at $1,200-$1,300 with sights for the barreled action, plus $450 for a McM Express stock from Rick. Doing the bedding myself, $1,600-$1,800 all up. MRC's completed rifle with synthetic stock is $3,700. And I'd rather have the McM Express than their Pendelton synthetic.

With a Walther barrel, or equivalent, a good Steelbed job by me in a McM Express stock, I think mine would run with theirs, may give it a real chase. And, I think it would look as good. The McM Express stock, IMHO, better looking than their stock.

IMHO, of course.

DF