Originally Posted by evanhill
I don't know Smokepole, your advice just makes it sound like you're getting old... wink

Sounds to me like he is getting wiser! wink ...but I'm an aspiring codger.

There is an unusual amount of wisdom shared already in this thread, from carrying kids to confidence and mental stamina.

Another bit of bush wisdom might be an ability to adapt to what the weather, terrain and vegetation gives you. I consider that a big asset though I'm not sure what to call it. Once in awhile that means to look at the weather and go down, as I have done twice when a blizzard moved in on a goat hunt.

As applied to a camp site it is me fitting reality rather than asking the outdoor reality on the spot to adapt to me, to a rigid idea of what makes a good camp spot or to the gear I have. The gear we carry helps us transform a wild place into a spot habitable by a human, for a night or a few. The more we can use what the spot gives us the less effort and better shelter we will have.

Also, on an errata list, taking care of feet is crucial, putting moleskin on hot spots BEFORE they turn into blisters (which can happen in "a few more" minutes). If boots fit really well that's not usually a problem.

Keep a running mental note of potential camp sites nearby. If weather change or anything unexpected calls for making camp, you have something in mind rather than starting a randon search.

Pick a camp or bivvy spot before dark if possible, even if you don't set up camp. I like to set up camp in midday so that I can hunt till dark and return to a laid out sleeping bag. In any kind of emergency, dangerous weather, etc. stop at least an hour before dark and get a campsite chosen and set up. I don't follow that prescription on many backpack hunts in reasonably decent weather and terrain, but rather hunt till dark and set up camp in pitch dark. But before it got dark I have usually chosen a place to camp, even if it is merely a general area like a patch of timber or a nearby bench rather than a specific spot.
Another random one: limit risk when you are alone or far from help. Take the safe step, climb the safe route, pick a safe water crossing (or don't cross it), even if it takes more time, distance, etc.

An axiom: Don't get wet if you are spending the night out. Sometimes you can't stay dry but really work at staying as dry as possible.

Two trips with two safe loads is a wiser choice than one so heavy it risks injury to the backpacker. I haven't always followed that one either. whistle That's how I know it.