Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
KC, I use that rule in areas that I'm not currently familar with. I've gotten into some nasty situations trying to come down a steep mountain by a different route than the one I used to go up it, for instance. E

Coming down steep country you aren't familier with can be hazardous. One time I was bushwacking back to the truck in rim rock country. I figured a short cut would be in order as it was getting dark. I made my way almost to the canyon bottom by headlamp. I could actually see the trail below, but I had rim rocked myself. There was a smooth rock face at about a 40 degree angle that I needed to cross to get to a wooded ridge. It was only about three big steps across and would have been no problem if dry, but it was covered with a skiff of snow. The rock face terminated at a cliff, some 20 feet above the canyon floor.

I weighed the decision whether to climb back all the way around or chance the three big steps. I went for the steps and made the 1st one OK, made step number two and as I was getting ready for the third and final step. I went for a ride. Landed flat on my back and went sailing off the cliff feet first. Not much time to think, other than this is bad, real bad. As it turned out, I was real lucky. I landed in a mountain mahogany bush about sit feet tall. I was scratched up pretty good, but all in one piece.

That did teach me a good lesson and I have never launched myself off a cliff again.

Ed, that's an incredible story! And a classic mountain hunting conundrum: three bad steps to an easy safe route or a LONG way backtracking.

I have an acquaintance who died while recconoitering a short cut down a wide band of cliffs. It was a quarter mile straight down the mountain to our vehicles and three miles around by an old abandoned road we'd always used before. His feet slipped on slick dry grass when he stepped to the edge of a cliff to look over.

It was his first such trip.