Originally Posted by Eremicus
KC, I use that rule in areas that I'm not currently familar with. I've gotten into some nasty situations trying to come down a steep mountain by a different route than the one I used to go up it, for instance. E

Coming down steep country you aren't familier with can be hazardous. One time I was bushwacking back to the truck in rim rock country. I figured a short cut would be in order as it was getting dark. I made my way almost to the canyon bottom by headlamp. I could actually see the trail below, but I had rim rocked myself. There was a smooth rock face at about a 40 degree angle that I needed to cross to get to a wooded ridge. It was only about three big steps across and would have been no problem if dry, but it was covered with a skiff of snow. The rock face terminated at a cliff, some 20 feet above the canyon floor.

I weighed the decision whether to climb back all the way around or chance the three big steps. I went for the steps and made the 1st one OK, made step number two and as I was getting ready for the third and final step. I went for a ride. Landed flat on my back and went sailing off the cliff feet first. Not much time to think, other than this is bad, real bad. As it turned out, I was real lucky. I landed in a mountain mahogany bush about sit feet tall. I was scratched up pretty good, but all in one piece.

That did teach me a good lesson and I have never launched myself off a cliff again.

Ed T