Granted the Scout concept has some very big limitations - and even that I could do with iron sights in my youth what I need a scout scope for today - I have two scout scopes mounted one on a true Steyr Scout and one on a Dragoon (finer cross hairs on the .308 and heavier on the .376 - lever detach on the .308 solid as I could make it on the .376 etc.). For red dots I also use an Aimpoint red dot on a 6920 mounted forward and an RMR on a S&W M&P compact pistol.

For my own use the scout scope on the scout rifle allows me old and tired as I am to do what I want to do in the woods. Disadvantages for aiming close to glare, issues for extreme accuracy with very fine aiming points, (but the scope sight is not a binocular and using the scope as a binocular substitute is always criminal and in some jurisdictions a crime) for all the handiness lacking light gathering ability and an illuminated aiming point still for a wandering around carbine I've put my money where my mouth is - but of course those are not my only rifles. In fact I've got a Leupold conventional 2.5 (shotgun) on a double - not for Africa but maybe for kicking the brush on a north face on a hot day and that works too.

Still IMHO the Burris is entirely satisfactory as a Scout Scope - that is as a scout scope there is no meaningful advantage in the field and the Burris offers a focusing eye piece lacking on most maybe all iterations of the Leupold scout scope. Maybe that means the Leupold is better sealed but the Scout is nothing to take to war and given the end of the world as we know it somebody else will quickly inherit my own scout so issues of ruggedness and guarantee don't arise for me.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 10/23/10.