Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Originally Posted by CUTNHARE
looking for some feedback on these scopes , who else makes a scout scope besides leupold ?

Holy CRAP!! The post has gone astray! Funny how everyone who ever "...looked through a Burris Scout Scope.." becomes an instant expert. Or someone like "Big Stick" (which by the way rhymes with Little...ahem...Richard) proclaims ALL Burris scopes are junk, then proceeds to show us pictures of his collections of multi-colored, plastic stocked rifles (with skulls and crossbones!! Yikes!! Soooo scary!!) all sporting (who would've ever guessed)scopes with massive objectives. "Why, you can't hit ANYTHING with a rifle wearing a Burris scope much less a 2.75X!!!" grin
First and foremost, if Burris scopes truly are junk, then Burris would no longer be in business. I own several of their scopes, as well as a Leupold or two, and under in real world hunting conditions, I find not enough difference in them, to spit at. Yes, compared side-by-side, the Leupolds of identical magnification seem a tad brighter, but again, in the field, it's made no difference to me.
Next, whoever said the original poster would be better off with a peep sight is a blithering idiot. And that's coming from someone who's obsessed with high quality peep sights (me). My primary High Power competition rifle sports a Redfield Palma and it truly is a fine, precision sight. My Marlin 375 and 1895, one of my Mauser hunting rifles, my Scout rifle, my wife's Scout rifle, one of my SKS's, my 1903, both 1903A3's (one with original sights, the other with a Lyman 48), my bolt .22 and both of my Mosin 91/30's ALL have receiver/peep sights. (Yes, it's possible to mount areceiver sight on a Mosin, but that's another post entirely.) My point is I LOVE peep sights, but in low light such as at dawn and dusk, a crappy scope is better than ANY peep sight for obvious reasons.
That being said, I HAVE owned a Burris Scout scope for nigh on 15 years. It's on my '98 Mauser .308 Scout rifle and it is utterly reliable. Year after year I check the zero on this rifle and so long as I don't change loads, I never, ever have to adjust the scope. 'Though I own a safe full of centerfire rifles, this rig is hands-down my favorite deer rifle. No, I don't take 400 yard shots with it, but more because to me that's unnecessary and borderline irresponsible for the average hunter. This rifle and scope was what I used to teach my daughter to deer hunt with beginning at age eleven. The main reason is that with the forward mounted scope it is so, so easy to acquire a target for those unaccustom to using a scope.
I'm currently putting together a Scout Rifle for my wife and I will without hesitation buy another Burris.
Nuff said in type. The proof is in the pudding:
[Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/BuckScout.jpg[/img] [img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/PB280045red.jpg[/img] [img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/Emilysdeer02-5.jpg[/img]
35WN
.........35 Whelennut,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ask Steelhead how soon he`ll remove that "piece of crap" scout scope from his carbine! (see his earlier pic). In fact better yet, ask him how long its been on there!!!

If I had a scope that I hated, I`d certainly trade it or sell it asap.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger