Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
[quote=toad]

Now THAT'S funny!!!! So you're telling me that if you didn't have those silly knobs on your scope, that your rifle would have half the range it does. Boy oh boy...the scope companies LOVE people like you!! Do you not know how to estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs? Hmmm....
So let's see... during last years elk season, I killed a bull at a lasered 355 yds. with my 35 Whelen. The rifle wears a 4.75x Weaver. That means that if I'd had a scope with turrets like yours, on my rifle, I could've killed the same bull at 710 yards? WOW!! That's amazing!! A scope that makes a rifle more powerful!!
You should PM John Barsness (Mule Deer) and tell him about your revolutionary discovery! I bet he'd love to write an article for one of the major hunting/shooting publications detailing your discovery!!
35WN

hardly my discovery.

your 35 Whelen/250 NPT would make 710 yards with a ~21 moa adjustment to the "silly knob" and would have 1320+ fpe remaining. not like it would bounce off when you can no longer "estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs".

i used the duplex hold-over for years before i stepped up to LRF/turrets. it works to a point but is very crude. removing your "estimate" from the equation is key.

but, hey, if you'd rather use "estimate" instead of precise input so you can have a pretty rifle in the safe, have at it.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.