I feel completely comfortable w/a 338/06, owned and used one in the past and shot it very well, no flinching. Also likely - a 9.3x62 would be an option. The 338 Win Mags - never cared to shoot them, but a few shots on a hunt probably would not be an issue. I would have to limit my sessions at the range to less rounds.

As to a .416, I did have a buddy who offered and encouraged me to give it a try. A custom, on a former 700 Classic 300 H&H IIRC. Not sure if the stock had a recoil pad, and it was pre-brake that was slated for it. Recall firing one shot, the floor plate dropped out as common due to recoil. Muzzle straight up, me straight back, and any follow up shot would have been VERY slow for many reasons. I have NO desire to ever fire another 416 but no doubt, if one needed a DGR for a Safari, it would be on top for performance. Shootability is another issue. The bullet IIRC I fired was a Hornady, maybe around 400 gr. It honestly popped my shoulder pretty bad, of course the 'blast factor' is no fun either burning that much powder, w/plugs/muffs.

I seem to recall back in college a wealthy business man who owned ALL kinds of rifles let me shoot his 375, put 3 in a clover leaf and although it came back hard, it seemed more a shove or push than a snap, perhaps recoil speed was less than a 338. Not sure on gun weight, likely hefty, it was sitting on the bags at the range when I sat down to fire it.

I would not use a 6.5 for just any shot, and would hold fire if I did not have a good presentation, and a margin of error - i.e. distance from me to him. It's a consideration, but not dead set on what I would poke one with but if the opportunity was ideal, I may choose to use a 6.5 w/a good bullet. It may be on the light side of the spectrum, necessitating exact shot placement for success, yet I won't take a rifle I won't shoot well.

Some like to hunt w/rifles, some handguns, some bows, I guess I have a hankering to use a 6.5 if I try for a Grizzly. We shall see, but no doubt, I DO have a concern for MY hide and would not be completely wreckless in my efforts. Some may say a 6.5 on a Grizz is 'an oxymoron' lol - it no doubt could present challenges and risks.

I appreciate the info/advice by all. Thanks.