LOL, good point Magnum Man thanks.

Trust me, I have not hunted bear, but should I, it won't be foolish. I may not shoot the biggest magnum's, but I do know HOW to shoot and I know what bullets to shoot in a given round per application, and I Do know there are limmits - to rounds, and shooters.

Did the friend ever find WHY that M70 had a F-t-F w/failsafes?

No plans to go alone, as although I plan if hunting one to get it all done by my shooter, should things not go as planned, there will be a second gun and gunner, backing me up.

In a nutshell, you may think I am a fool, and I agree I take a path less traveled at times not perhaps always doing things status quo, but I don't intend on doing anything foolish.

Hunting w/a light caliber for large game in and of itself I do not believe has to be 'foolish' but no doubt, if done w/o thought, and solo, it can and has gotten people in trouble.

As to the above shooter, he did something I dont' do. I actually sight in and shoot, and check functioning with the ammo that rifle will be used that season. Its surprising he had a bobble w/facotry ammo and rifle, but things happen. That was too bad, but glad it all ended well.

Your post is valid and not w/o merit, so know I certainly appreciate your post sir.

At this time, my plans will be to bring two rifles, a 6.5 of sorts, to use on deer/caribou, sheep, and moose, depending on opportunities, but on bear it will all depend. My second rifle will MORE than likely be a 9.3x62 stuffed w/286 Partitions OR possibly a Barnes. That's likely my first choice for a midbore right now. The other choices I have will be 338/06, 338 Win Mag, and possibly a 375 H&H but I KNOW myself, and feel I will shoot the 9.3 and 338/06 a good bit better and leaning towards them.

SHOOTABILITY, HIT-ABILITY, time to complete repeat fire, and capacity all factor in to my choices - knowing MY recoil tolerance. I'd rather shoot well, than only get off one half azzed shot w/something I don't shoot worth a darn. I no doubt could get one good shot off w/a say 375, but how quick for a 2nd and 3rd I am not so confident. Getting a rifle that fits well, with hunting clothes, i.e. LOP is also key I feel in optimizing gun handling and fast accurate repeat fire.

Would you guys feel comfortable w/a simple FXII 4x Leupold for Bear?