I think the point has been made, maybe a couple of times already,that it's one thing to spend a lifetime among them (grizzly)... studying them, observing them... not taking foolish risks, taking your time in placing your shot correctly, perhaps on an unaware bear... BUT, it's another thing entirely to be a hobbyist IMO.

About the black bear I mentioned earlier... I saw the horse it killed... before it was killed... a black stallion. There was NO WAY that bear could have outrun, in a pasture, that stallion that weighed 800 to 1000 lbs! But the bear cornered it and maneuvered it to flee into a large wilderness area where it was killed, by the bear,in a bog.

Next year, God willing, I'll be going after said bear, as that is the request of the people concerned, but there's NO WAY that I'd go for that bear in that terrain with a 22-250!!! In fact, my choice will likely be my Marlin in .45-70 loaded (4+1=5 rounds) with tough 400's at 2000+ fps! THAT bear is cunning and smart, and although not a grizzly, it's dangerous!

The point I'm making is this (If you'll indulge me for another brief moment):CONDITIONS should play a major role in the choices we make in firearms for DG. And no two circumstances are exactly the same. Therefore, to advise a client, or hobbyist, to choose such and such because it has "always worked for grandpa", is, in a word, ludicrous. If someone is to err, let it be with "too much gun" for conditions that may quickly turn sour, rather than that which is "perfect" when everything is. (Is it ever?)

Another important factor, pointed out already... would this be a "do it yourself" or a guided hunt with a guide/outfitter that, hopefully, would know how to use his .30-06 or .375 or whatever? I'd be VERY surprised/dismayed, as a client, should HE be toting a 6.5!!!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/09/10.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus