I did a lot of clean up work in the 80's and 90's retrieving wounded black bear for outfitter clients who had pooched the shot. This typically turns the blackies disposition to be short tempered. Go figure.

I used a 65x55 model 38 Husqvarna because it was absolutely reliable, and fast in the thick stuff. I used those 160 grain Doninion KKSP bullets which were hreat penetrators. I used them right up to the day I was attacked and I put a round into thr backbone behind the head on a direct frontal charge.

The bear was close enough that the shot was downward into the spine. The shot was perfect, the bear immidiately collapsed, but his forward momentum drove his head into my leg knocking me back and spraining my ancle. The pucker factor was wholly operative that day!

I have hunted blackies since that day with a 338winmag. I realise it is not necessary to kill a blackie, but like the added insurance it offers. This year 17 years after that excitement, I shot my bear with a 30-06.

I have no doubt a 65x55 will kill a grizzly, but I would not stake my life on it. No grizzly experience on my part, so take this for what it is worth.

By the way when I have the opportunity to do so I shoot through the shoulders to take out their front wheel drive. When they are close I go for a CNS hit. I eat my game and although there is five pounds of meat in the cheek, I consider it a fair trade for instant kill.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff