I love the 6.5mm/.264cal and enjoied this whole thread.
I took it apun my self to tally the votes so far.

6.5x55 se received a solid 20 votes +mine =21 votes

260 rem received 3 solid honest votes +4 for action length =7 votes

No difference/ No vote =11 votes

Ramblings =9 votes

Honestly you will be happy with either. I say go for the 6.5x55.
my reasons would be:
1. the 6.5x55 though a very old design and sammi specs, based on origional configurations with turn of the 20th century military rifles, have acceptable pressures rated lower than the very modern 260, the 6.5x55 Se case is actually stronger with a thicker case head. With all modern componets and rifle, the 6.5x55 case will handle HIGHER pressures than the 260.

2. the SMALL case capacity difference (slight advantage 6.5x55) gives this cartridge the advantage in handling the 140gr and up bullets like they were made to be together. The 260 Rem will shoot these heavier bullets too, but will start to drop off in preformance as compared to the old Swede.

3. .264cal bullets have a large selection of "heavy for calibur" bullets to choose from. Therefore, this calibur has a large selection of high BC, High sectional density bullets. These bullets are high BC/ high SD and carry A LOT OF PUNCH ON GAME AND LESS PUNCH ON YOU. (thats exactaly what you are looking for isn't it?) The heavier bullets, higher SD bullets retain velosity better at distance. (all SLIGHT advantage 6.5x55. because remember it handles the heavier bullets better)

**If you are not a handloader and you intend on buying bullets off the shelf, then go with the 260 remington.**

factory bullet for factory bullet you will see NO difference between the two cartridges. Thats because the 260 Rem is normal loaded, and the 6.5 Swede is under loaded. (remember lawsuit, liability, and litigation. factory must have those lower pressures for the swede.) Im ont advocating for reckless powder packing, Im just saying that is what you will find in a factory loading.

+++ IF you are a handloader and want to use 140gr + bullets then go with the 6.5x55. it will absolutely kick the 260 rem's ass in this catagory +++ enough said.

are there other 6.5's/.264's that will out preform the 6.5 swede? YES, absolutely! but I still would go with the 6.5x55 swedish mauser.

Last edited by atomiclab; 01/10/11.

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.