If you hit both shoulders lower than the mid-point, often you'll only fringe the vitals. A lot of it depends on where the animal's legs are positioned, and the animal itself, though.

I once shot a big mule deer through both shoulders about 1/3 of the way up the body at 300 yards with a .280 Remington and 150 Partition. The bullet exited, naturally, but the deer was a long way from dead. It collapsed at the shot and after pushing itself along by the hind legs for a few feet, actually stood up briefly, even though both shoulders were broken, then fell again. I had to finished it off with another shot. If it had been a bighorn ram near a cliff it could easily have gone over the side.

Pigs, however, have their heart and lungs a little further forward than deer, and a shot in the same place is always suddenly fatal.

If I want to put an animal down right now with a shoulder shot, I am about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the body, where the spine is between the shoulderblades. How far up depends on he animal. Some animals have more or less of a shoulder hump, so require a little different hold.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck