A lot of it has to do with the size of the critter, bullet design, velocity and shot angle I am offered (and if I want the cape ;o) ). If I am shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips, I punch the arm pit when trying to save the cape. I know with the BT's I am going to get a major exit hole. ;o)

If I don't care about the cape and I am shooting a harder bullet, I smack them dead center 1/3 of the way up the body in line with the front leg. Both type of shots pretty much guarantee bang flops.

Fast shooting cartridges and hitting an animal anywhere in the front shoulder/lungs creates massive hydrostatic shock. I can't remember an animal ever taking a step after being shot anywhere in that area with a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip at 3,200-3,300 fps.

I'm a ballistic tip fan, but even when I shoot deer and elk with the the .30-06 and 165 ballistic tips at 2,800 fps, critters just drop at the shot when hit center shoulder.

I see the guys on TV arm pit shooting deer while waiting for the "perfect" broad site shot. Their deer ALWAYS run off. They are shown recovering them in the dark hours later or the next day. What the heck is up with that? I have killed hundreds of deer and just don't have to track them. The only time I do is when I muff the shot, which is really rare.

I would rather obliterate the shoulder bones, lose meat and have them drop, rather than lung punch them and chase them. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.