I concur wholeheartedly. The reason I brought this up is, the guns stores are starting to fill up with "elk hunters". They are all asking the inexperienced idiot behind the desk what they should buy for an elk rifle. Every one of these azzclowns recommends one of the ultra mags or super .338's. I know for a fact several of these guys haven't shot anything bigger than a .22.

If a guy hasn't hunted elk and has to ask what rifle he should use, he DEFINITELY does very little shooting, if any at all. Starting him off with a magnum is a monumental mistake.

I help these guys "try" to sight in their rifles at the 200 yard range by my house. It is a complete joke. They are SOOOO scared of their new magnums, that they can't hit an 18" circle at 200 yards off of a cement benchrest. They blame the scope, the load, the rifle, everything, but themselves. They finally hit the circle and proclaim, "No elk is safe to 700 yards!" It gets really old...and these are the guys that actually attempt sighting in their rifles.

The old timers or guys with experience "generally" recommend something on the .30-06 case or 7mm magnum. Once the 7mm magnum is eclipsed, the recoil goes up substantially, by jumping to one of the .300 magnums. It takes a seasoned shooter to handle the recoil and put the bullet where it needs to go. The .338 increases the recoil that much more. Recoil isn't what kills elk wink Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.