Originally Posted by okiebowhunter

Buffybr is gettin her done with the 30 Gibbs, huh? I may need one of those.

When I graduated from college, I had two passions...Skiing and Big game (elk) hunting, so I made the decision then that I had to live where I could enjoy those passions.

I've been lucky enough to have killed 34 elk, and all but the first one were killed within 100 miles of where I lived.

My first centerfire rifle was a .30-06 and I used it for everything from prairie dogs to elk. After I moved to Montana, a friend showed me a .30 Gibbs case. I thought it looked real cool, so I had my .30-06 rechambered to .30 Gibbs. About the same time I built a .22-250 for varmints and a .257 Ackley for deer, antelope, and bighorn sheep. The .30 Gibbs became my favorite rifle for elk, and I also made one shot kills with it on two Shiras moose bulls, an Alaskan caribou, and a Mountain goat.

My .30 Gibbs shot 180 gr Nosler Partitions at 2990 fps, which was real close to .300 Winchester magnum velocities.

Ever since I began hunting, I've admired Weatherby rifles, particularly, the .300 Wby. A couple of years ago I finally bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard, gave it a fancy walnut stock and made a few other changes, and it is now my favorite elk rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member