After posting I went back and reviewed each submission. I am on several forums and like many of you have seen numerous posts touting the effectiveness of the .243, .257, 6mm, and other small calibers on elk. But here many like my self have moved up to more powerful rifles as time moves along. I don't believe that is because we like more recoil, more muzzle blast but its because we believe in the premis that a little more is better. What I read and see here proves that.

Certainly you can kill an elk with less than a 375 and 338 caliber rifles. But as most of us have learned to do it time after time at various ranges and shot presentations, cleanly, ethicaly and recover it for consumption, that as long as you can shoot it, more is better.
Wayne VanZwoll did a survey a number of years ago and found that the 06 was the most popular cartridge for elk hunters, followed by the 300 Mag. I have seen other data showing similar trends with the 300's moving up in percentages. The information here certainly supports. that. Nuff said

Last edited by Elkmen; 07/15/11.