Never ceases to amaze me how many dipschitts move to an acerage and think they can let their dogs run loose to bother the neighbors or wildlife. When I bought mine, fencing in my horses was the first thing that happened. I did all the posts and box braces first then the wire and stretching. I was clipping and stapling my wire when the neighbors Rottweiler decided to come over and run me off. All I had was a 28 oz Estwing claw hammer but he backed off after I stood my ground and hollered at him.went over to my pickup and put on my 357. About a half hr later the neighbor came over, looked at my SW and asked if their was a problem . Told him no problem but you keep your Rottie at home cause next time you will have to load him up and haul him home.He got an attitude about that, but a couple weeks later his Rottie tried to bite a little girl who was with her folks that were there to visit the dog owner( they were family friends). After that deal, he took care of his own problem with the 12 ga..My dogs have allways lived in kennels with runs and they might drool on someone but are friendly. I made a point in the 13 years of living here of hiring everyone of my neighbors kids to feed and water them when I needed to go out of town. So they know everybody and everybody knows them. Was part of my plan to be a good neighbor. These days some folks just don't get that. Goodluck Scott it sounds like you have a good plan to talk with the Sheriff. magnum man