1960 � Carol Anne and I honeymooned in a Forest Service fire lookout on Jay Point in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area (Idaho).

Two years before, a "pet" bull moose killed the lookout couple's pup. The year before we were there, he kept the lookout girl in the outhouse all day. (They'd been hand-feeding him salt. We didn't give him any.)

He charged me twice in two days. A .44 Magnum between his ears made him flee in a scrambling all-legs-every-which-way panic. (I shot over his head, between his ears, from about ten yards or less in front of him � I still have a "freeze-frame" mental image of lodgepole needles drifting off a high limb behind him.)

The third morning, he charged Carol Anne as she was on her way to the outhouse. He ignored my warning bullet over his head as he ran by me. The next ones � IN the head � put him down, hard, without a twitch. I don't think that I ever emptied any handgun so fast, before or since! (Cast Keith-Ideal 429421 and 22 grains of 2400, in case anybody's hungry for the load data.)

The warden was furious � frustrated because he couldn't hang me. I'd sent him word after the first time when the bull charged me, and he was on his way up to the lookout with salt blocks on a pack horse, to "salt" the bull away from the lookout, when he heard my .44. Had said ne'er a mumblin' word to me � not even to acknowedge that I'd sent word down � so I had no idea that he was on his way up.

That didn't soften things a bit � just made him madder. Jerk!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.