Originally Posted by Brad

Another aspect of arrogance, is totally ignoring the vast preponderance of evidence that bear spray is FAR MORE effective on bears than a handgun.

Really?

I'd appreciate you citing some sources for that.

Here's what I know: Herrero et al published a peer-reviewed paper last year that was the best and largest study to date looking at firearms vs spray, and their data suggested that pepper spray was only about 6% more effective than firearms (88% for firearms, 94% for spray, IIRC). The study was flawed in that it didn't differentiate types of firearms used, nor did it differentiate between shooters who were experienced/trained with them, and it didn't rule out bear attacks that were initially stopped by spray but then resumed when the bear had recovered from the initial shock of being sprayed. There were a lot of flaws in that study.

Gary Shelton, who is in many people's opinion the most experienced and knowledgeable bear defense expert in Canada quite pointedly does NOT endorse pepper spray over firearms. He does make the caveat that people who are going to carry firearms for bear defense really should take training in the use of same in order to fully utilize the advantage that a firearm can give you, but he doesn't recommend carrying spray rather than a gun. He DOES recommend that everyone in the party carry TWO cans of spray, and have training in their use, however.

Originally Posted by Brad

I've had at least half a dozen up close and personal encounters with grizzlies. I'm still in the bear spray camp if forced to chose. That's based on reality, not some limited sense of my own manhood and a Freudian-like fixation with phallic symbols that go bang in my hand.

I've had about 2 dozen more close encounters with bears than you've claimed, Brad, but I have no illusions that this makes me a bear behavior/defense "expert". I have used bear spray once and a firearm twice against aggressive bears in my lifetime, the remainder were handled by avoidance training. But I certainly don't claim that this limited experience grants me any expertise.

I carry bear spray in bear country, but I also carry firearm(s) whenever feasible. The circumstances under which either should be used are not easily defined. But I've reached a point in my life where the only time I do NOT carry a firearm in bear country is when it's prohibited by law. FWIW, I don't have much faith in handguns as bear medicine, I much prefer a rifle or slug shotgun. I do carry a magnum revolver in black bear country at times, but even then I've done a lot of fishing with a slug gun slung over my shoulder.

And yes, I've had the training in the use of firearms for bear defense from authorized trainers. It's not rocket science, and it's not firearms wizardry beyond the grasp of the average hunter/rifleman.

Last edited by DocRocket; 09/19/12. Reason: handgun vs long gun comment

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars